July 16 is the 197th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar (198th in leap years ). There are 168 left to finish the year.
- 622 — Beginning of the Islamic Calendar , with the Prophet Muhammad 's flight to Medina , Saudi Arabia .
- Battle of Spercheios : Tsar Samuel 's Bulgarian forces are defeated by a Byzantine army under General Nikephoros Uranus , at the Spercheios River, Greece . –
- 1054 – Three Roman legates sever relations between the Christian Churches of the West and East over the act of placing an invalidly issued pontifical bull of excommunication on the altar of Hagia Sophia during the Saturday afternoon divine liturgy. Historians often describe the event as the beginning of the Great Schism .
- 1212 – Battle of Navas de Tolosa : after Pope Innocent III summons the European knights for a crusade , the forces of Kings Alfonso VIII of Castile , Sancho VII of Navarre , Pedro II of Aragon and Alfonso II of Portugal defeat the Berber Muslim troops of the Almohad Caliphate , marking a significant turning point in Spain's Reconquest and medieval history.
- 1232 – The Spanish city of Arjona declares independence and names its native Muhammad ibn Yusuf as ruler. This marks Muhammad's first rise to prominence; he would later establish the Nasrid Emirate of Granada , the last independent Muslim state in Spain.
- 1782 – Mozart 's first opera , The Abduction of the Seraglio, premieres.
- 1849 – Antonio Maria Claret founds the Congregation of Missionaries Sons of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, popularly known as the Claretians in Vic , in the province of Barcelona , Catalonia , Spain.
- 1861 – American Civil War : By order of President Abraham Lincoln , Union troops begin a 25-mile march into Virginia for what will become the First Battle of Bull Run , the first major land battle of the war.
- 1909 – Persian Constitutional Revolution : Muhammad Ali Shah Qajar is forced to abdicate as Shah of Persia and is replaced by his son Ahmad Kajar .
- 1934 — Promulgation of the Brazilian Constitution of 1934 .
- 1944 – The first legion of the Brazilian Expeditionary Force (FEB) lands in Italy and joins the Allied armies of World War II .
- World War II : The heavy cruiser USS Indianapolis leaves San Francisco with the uranium core and other components of the " Little Boy " bomb on board bound for Tinian Island .
- World War II: Manhattan Project : The Atomic Age begins when the United States successfully detonates a plutonium -based test nuclear bomb near Alamogordo, New Mexico .
- 1965 – The Mont Blanc Tunnel opens to traffic , connecting France and Italy.
- 1969 – Launch of the North American space mission Apollo 11 from Launch Complex 39, Kennedy Space Center , ( Florida ) which would be the first manned mission to reach the Moon .
- 1990 – The Supreme Council of Ukraine declares state sovereignty over the territory of the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic .
- 2004 – Millennium Park , considered Chicago 's first and most ambitious architectural project of the early 21st century , is opened to the public by Mayor Richard M. Daley .
Before the 19th century
- 1194 – Clare of Assisi , Italian Catholic saint (d. 1253 ).
- 1486 – Andrea del Sarto , Italian painter (d. 1530 ).
- 1672 – Barbara FitzRoy , English nobleman and nun (d. 1737 ).
- 1723 – Joshua Reynolds , British painter (d. 1792 ).
- 1756 – Viscount of Cairu , Brazilian economist, jurist and politician (d. 1835 ).
- 1796 – Jean-Baptiste Camille Corot , French painter (d. 1875 ).
- 1798 – Eduard Friedrich Poeppig , German zoologist and naturalist (d. 1868 ).
- 1801 – António José de Amorim , Portuguese soldier and politician (d. 1877 ).
- 1808 – José Pedro Dias de Carvalho , Brazilian journalist and politician (d. 1881 ).
- 1821 – Mary Baker Eddy , American religious and writer (d. 1910 ).
- José Rodrigues , Portuguese painter (d. 1887 ).
- Naceradim Shah Khajar , Shah of Persia (d. 1896 ).
- 1832 – Mariano Baptista , Bolivian politician (d. 1907 ).
- 1834 – Adolf Eduard Lüderitz , German merchant and explorer (d. 1886 ).
- 1861 – Frederick William Frohawk , British zoologist (d. 1946 ).
- 1862 – Ida B. Wells , American journalist, sociologist and activist (d. 1931 ).
- 1869 – Clement Cazalet , British tennis player (d. 1950 ).
- 1870 – Hermann August Theodor Harms , German botanist (d. 1942 ).
- 1872 – Roald Amundsen , Norwegian explorer (d. 1928 ).
- 1875 – Lucy Hannah , American supercentenarian (d. 1993 ).
- 1876 — Alfred Stock , German chemist (d. 1946 ).
- 1877 – Vasil Kolarov , Bulgarian politician (d. 1950 ).
- Frits Zernike , Dutch physicist (d. 1966 ).
- Shoeless Joe Jackson , American baseball player (d. 1951 ).
- 1890 – Carlos Carmelo de Vasconcelos Motta , Brazilian religious (d. 1982 ).
- 1894 – Leon Croizat , Italian biologist, explorer and botanist (d. 1982 ).
- Trygve Lie , Norwegian politician (d. 1968 ).
- Gottlob Berger , German soldier (d. 1975 ).
- 1901 – Leon Shamroy , American cinematographer (d. 1974 ).
- 1902 – Alexander Luria , Russian neuropsychologist (d. 1977 ).
- 1903 – Alexander Conrady , German soldier (d. 1983 ).
- 1907 – Eileen Bennett Whittingstall , British tennis player (d. 1979 ).
- Ginger Rogers , American actress, dancer and singer (d. 1995 ).
- Paulo Gracindo , Brazilian actor (d. 1995 ).
- 1919 – Choi Kyu-hah , South Korean politician (d. 2006 ).
- 1920 – Elizeth Cardoso , Brazilian singer and actress (d. 1990 ).
- 1921 – Guy Laroche , French fashion designer (d. 1989 ).
- 1923 – Bola Sete , Brazilian musician (d. 1987 ).
- Bill Eckersley , British footballer (d. 1982 ).
- Cal Tjader , American musician (d. 1982 ).
- Alfred Pfaff , German footballer (d. 2008 ).
- Irwin Rose , American biochemist (d. 2015 ).
- Heinz Kwiatkowski , German footballer (d. 2008 ).
- Jim Rathmann , American racing driver (d. 2011 ).
- 1928 – Nílton Coelho da Costa , Brazilian footballer (d. 2007 ).
- 1931 – Carlos Tasso de Saxe-Coburgo e Bragança , Brazilian businessman, historian and writer.
- Dick Thornburgh , American politician (d. 2020 ).
- Laerte Morrone , Brazilian actor (d. 2005 ).
- George Hilton , Uruguayan actor (d. 2019 ).
- Tomás Eloy Martínez , Argentine writer and journalist (d. 2010 ).
- Yasuo Fukuda , Japanese politician.
- Leo Sterckx , former Belgian cyclist.
- Bolinha , Brazilian television presenter (d. 1998 ).
- William Bell , American singer and songwriter.
- Corin Redgrave , British actor (d. 2010 ).
- Lido Vieri , former Italian footballer.
- Arthur Moreira Lima , Brazilian pianist.
- Rosa Branca , Brazilian basketball player (d. 2008 ).
- Desmond Dekker , Jamaican singer-songwriter (d. 2006 ).
- Kálmán Mészöly , former Hungarian footballer.
- Juarez Soares , Brazilian journalist and politician (d. 2019 ).
- 1942 – Margaret Smith Court , former Australian tennis player.
- Reinaldo Arenas , Cuban poet (d. 1990 ).
- Lim Zoong-sun , former North Korean footballer.
- 1944 – Ary Sanches , Brazilian singer.
- 1946 – Toshio Furukawa , Japanese voice actor.
- Mayana Zatz , Brazilian molecular biologist and geneticist.
- Shigeru Kasamatsu , former Japanese gymnast.
- Rubén Blades , Panamanian singer, songwriter, actor and guitarist.
- Pinchas Zukerman , Israeli conductor and violinist.
- Manuel Clemente , Portuguese cardinal.
- Lars Lagerbäck , Swedish football coach.
- Bruno Gamberini , Brazilian bishop.
- Milan Albrecht , former Slovak footballer.
- 1951 – Dan Bricklin , American businessman and computer scientist.
- 1952 – Stewart Copeland , American musician.
- 1954 – Denise Milan , Brazilian interdisciplinary sculptor and artist.
- Jerry Doyle , American actor (d. 2016 ).
- Tony Kushner , American playwright.
- Lutz Eigendorf , German footballer (d. 1983 ).
- 1957 – Włodzimierz Smolarek , Polish footballer and football coach (d. 2012 ).
- 1958 – Mike D. Rogers , American politician.
- 1959 – Bob Joles , American voice actor and musician.
- 1960 – Hernâni Carvalho , Portuguese journalist and television presenter.
- Renê Weber , Brazilian footballer and football coach (d. 2020 ).
- Ricky , former Nigerian footballer.
- Gøran Sørloth , former Norwegian footballer.
- Natalya Lisovskaya , former Russian athlete.
- Phoebe Cates , American actress.
- Fatboy Slim , British DJ and record producer.
- Srečko Katanec , Slovenian former footballer and football coach.
- Mikael Pernfors , former Swedish tennis player.
- Nino Burjanadze , Georgian politician and jurist.
- Miguel Induráin , former Spanish cyclist.
- Melanie Marquez , Filipino model and actress.
- 1965 – Milan Ohnisko , Czech poet.
- 1966 – Scott Derrickson , American director, film producer and screenwriter.
- Will Ferrell , American actor, screenwriter and producer.
- Ibrahim Meer , former Emirati footballer.
- Eissa Meer , former Emirati footballer.
- Larry Sanger , American Internet project developer.
- Olga de Souza , Brazilian singer.
- Germán Carty , Peruvian former footballer.
- Apichatpong Weerasethakul , Thai filmmaker, producer and screenwriter.
- Dariusz Białkowski , former Polish kayaker.
- Óscar Sánchez , Bolivian footballer and football coach (d. 2007 ).
- Vinícius Coimbra , Brazilian television director.
- Corey Feldman , American actor.
- 1972 – Oleg Ogorodov , former Uzbek tennis player.
- Chris Pontius , American actor and comedian.
- Espido Freire , Spanish writer.
- Massimo Marazzina , former Italian footballer.
- Krisztián Bártfai , former Hungarian kayaker.
- Ana Paula Arósio , Brazilian actress.
- Bas Leinders , Belgian motorist.
- Manuel Sanhouse , former Venezuelan footballer.
- Abdul Aziz Al-Marzoug , former Saudi footballer.
- Carlos Humberto Paredes , former Paraguayan footballer.
- Lucas Pusineri , former Argentine footballer and football coach.
- Jimmy London , Brazilian singer and actor.
- Michael Petković , former Australian footballer.
- Peter Van Der Heyden , former Belgian football player.
- 1977 – Andriy Dykan , former Ukrainian footballer.
- Jayma Mays , American actress and singer.
- Youl Mawéné , former French footballer.
- Jesse Jane , American erotic film actress.
- Justine Joli , American erotic film actress.
- Takehiro Kashima , former Japanese gymnast.
- Oliver Marach , Austrian tennis player.
- Vicente Rodríguez , former Spanish footballer.
- Diego Barreto , former Paraguayan footballer.
- Márcia Jaqueline , Brazilian dancer.
- André Greipel , German cyclist.
- Michael Umaña , Costa Rican footballer.
- Carli Lloyd , American footballer.
- Steven Hooker , Australian athlete.
- 1983 – Adrian Piţ , Romanian footballer.
- Ricardo Conceição , Brazilian footballer.
- Katrina Kaif , British actress.
- Franco Cángele , former Argentine footballer.
- Johnny McKinstry , British football coach.
- Rosa Salazar , American actress.
- Dejan Jaković , Canadian footballer.
- Laura Carmichael , British actress.
- Thomas Howes , British actor and musician.
- Shikoze Udoji , Nigerian footballer.
- AnnaLynne McCord , American actress.
- Mousa Dembélé , Belgian footballer.
- Brinner Henrique Santos Souza , Brazilian footballer.
- Sergio Busquets , Spanish footballer.
- Bruno Ecuele Manga , Gabonese footballer.
- Gareth Bale , British footballer.
- Vladimir , Brazilian footballer.
- Azubuike Egwuekwe , Nigerian footballer.
- nineteen ninety
- James Maslow , American actor and singer.
- Johann Zarco , French motorcyclist.
- Andros Townsend , British footballer.
- Alexandra Shipp , American actress.
- Louis Smolka , American mixed martial arts fighter.
- 1992 – Hattan Bahebri , Saudi footballer.
- 1993 – Ashton Götz , German footballer.
- 1994 – Michael Hixon , American diving athlete.
- 1995 – Kortney Hause , British footballer and rapper .
- 2000 – Jonathan Morgan Heit , American actor.
Before the 19th century
- 866 — Ermengarda do Chiem , French abbess (b. ?).
- 1216 – Pope Innocent III (b. 1160 ).
- 1324 – Go-Uda , Emperor of Japan (b. 1267 ).
- 1342 — Charles I of Hungary (b. 1288 ).
- 1509 — João da Nova , Portuguese explorer (b. 1460 ).
- 1546 – Anne Askew , English writer and poet (b. 1520 ).
- 1557 – Anne of Cleves , queen consort of England (b. 1515 ).
- 1576 – Isabel de Medici , Italian noblewoman (b. 1542 ).
- 1590 – Bartolomeu dos Mártires , Portuguese Catholic saint (b. 1514 ).
- 1633 – John Casimir, Duke of Saxe-Coburg (b. 1564 ).
- 1664 – Andreas Gryphius , German poet and playwright (b. 1616 ).
- 1729 – Johann David Heinichen , German composer and theorist (b. 1683 ).
- 1731 – Pedro António de Menezes Noronha de Albuquerque , Portuguese colonial administrator (b. 1661 ).
- 1722 – Maria Angela Catarina d'Este , princess of Carignano (b. 1656 ).
- 1747 – Giuseppe Crespi , Italian painter (b. 1665 ).
- 1770 – Francis Cotes , British painter and scholar (b. 1726 ).
- 1782 – Louise Ulrich of Prussia , queen consort of Sweden (b. 1720 ).
- 1831 – Alexandre-Louis Andrault de Langeron , French colonel (b. 1763 ).
- 1868 – Dmitry Pisarev , Russian writer and social critic (b. 1840 ).
- 1884 – Pedro Luís Pereira de Sousa , Brazilian poet and politician (b. 1839 ).
- 1896 – Edmond de Goncourt , French writer (b. 1822 ).
- 1916 – Ilya Ilyich Mechnikov , Russian microbiologist and anatomist (b. 1845 ).
- 1938 – Jack Dunn , British figure skater (b. 1917 ).
- 1953 – Hilaire Belloc , British writer (b. 1870 ).
- 1974 – Oduvaldo Vianna Filho , Brazilian playwright, actor and director (b. 1936 ).
- 1976 – Nikolai Muskhelishvili , Russian mathematician (b. 1891 ).
- 1980 – Michel Thomé , Brazilian politician (b. 1923 ).
- 1985 – Heinrich Böll , German writer (b. 1917 ).
- 1989 – Herbert von Karajan , Austrian conductor (b. 1908 ).
- 1994 – Julian Schwinger , American physicist (b. 1918 ).
- 1999 — John F. Kennedy, Jr. , American journalist and editor (b. 1960 ).
- 2000 — Barbosa Lima Sobrinho , Brazilian journalist, historian and politician (b. 1897 ).
- Morris , Belgian cartoonist (b. 1923 ).
- Terry Gordy , American wrestler (b. 1961 ).
- Emil Pinheiro , Brazilian sports director (b. 1923 ).
- 2003 – Celia Cruz , Cuban singer (b. 1925 ).
- 2009 – Paulo Lopes de Faria , Brazilian Catholic bishop (b. 1931 ).
- 2010 — Gibe , Brazilian actor and comedian (b. 1935 ).
- Johnny Winter , American guitarist and singer (b. 1944 ).
- Armando Marques , Brazilian football referee (b. 1930 ).
- Alcides Ghiggia , Uruguayan footballer (b. 1926 ).
- Ernesto Frederico Scheffel , Brazilian painter (b. 1927 ).
- 2017 – George A. Romero , American filmmaker (b. 1940 ).
- 2020 — Del Rangel , Brazilian director and producer (b. 1955 ).
Holidays and cyclical events
- The Catholic Church celebrates Nossa Senhora do Carmo (or Nossa Senhora do Monte Carmelo )
- merchant's day
- Day of the Third Constitution of Brazil (1934)
- Municipal holiday in Imperatriz , Maranhão - city anniversary.
- Municipal holiday in Arcos and Mariana , Minas Gerais - Nossa Senhora do Carmo day and anniversary of these cities
- Municipal holiday in Betim , Carmo do Rio Claro , Parintins , Recife and dozens of other municipalities - Nossa Senhora do Carmo Day. The list of cities that celebrate the day of the patron saint Nossa Senhora do Carmo is long and reaches dozens of cities.
- In the Roman calendar it was the 17th day (XVII) before the Kalends of August .
- In the liturgical calendar it has the Sunday letter A for the day of the week .
- In the Gregorian calendar the epact of the day is xi .
To know the Age of the Moon on this day, look for the corresponding letter in each year (lowercase or uppercase), for example, in 2020, for Epact and Moon Age it is the letter e :
So on July 16, 2020 the age of the Moon is 25 .
- ^ "World Snake Day" . Days Of The Year (in English) . Consulted on July 16, 2021
- ^ "Guinea Pig Appreciation Day" . Days Of The Year (in English) . Consulted on July 16, 2021
- ^ "Fresh Spinach Day" . Days Of The Year (in English) . Consulted on July 16, 2021