July 15 is the 196th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar (197th in leap years ). There are 169 left to finish the year.
- 484 BC — Dedication of the Temple of Castor and Pollux in Ancient Rome .
- 1099 – First Crusade : Christian soldiers take the Basilica of the Holy Sepulcher in Jerusalem after the final assault of a tough siege .
- 1381 – John Ball , a leader of the Peasant Revolt , is hanged, dragged and quartered in the presence of King Richard II of England .
- 1410 – Battle of Grunwald : Allied forces of the Kingdom of Poland and the Grand Duchy of Lithuania defeat the army of the Teutonic Order .
- 1685 – Monmouth Rebellion : James Scott, 1st Duke of Monmouth is executed on Tower Hill, England, following his defeat at the Battle of Sedgemoor on 6 July 1685.
- 1799 – The Rosetta Stone is found in the Egyptian village of Rosetta during Napoleon Bonaparte 's Egypt Campaign .
- 1806 – Pike Expedition : United States Army Lieutenant Zebulon Pike begins an expedition from Fort Bellefontaine near St. Louis, Missouri , to explore the west.
- 1815 – Napoleonic Wars : Napoleon Bonaparte surrenders aboard HMS Bellerophon .
- 1823 – A fire destroys the ancient Basilica of Saint Paul Outside the Walls in Rome, Italy.
- 1826 – The Pan-American Congress takes place in Panama , under the auspices of Simón Bolívar , which aimed to unify the new American states.
- 1834 – The Spanish Inquisition is officially abolished after nearly 356 years of operation.
- 1870 – Rupert's Land and the Northwest Territory are transferred from the Hudson's Bay Company to Canada , and from these vast territories the Province of Manitoba and the Northwest Territories are created .
- 1910 – In his book Clinical Psychiatry , Emil Kraepelin names Alzheimer's disease , naming it after his colleague Alois Alzheimer .
- 1918 – World War I : Beginning of the Second Battle of the Marne , the last German offensive on the western front. German armies are defeated while trying to take Paris .
- 1927 – 1927 Vienna Massacre : Eighty-nine protesters are killed by Austrian police in Vienna .
- 1946 – North Borneo , present-day Sabbat , Malaysia , is annexed by the United Kingdom.
- 1974 – In Nicosia , Cyprus , nationalists sponsored by the Greek junta launch a coup d'état, deposing President Makarios and installing Nikos Sampson as Cypriot president.
- 1975 – Space Race : The Apollo-Soyuz Test Program features a joint Apollo Project and Soviet space program mission that performs an Earth - orbit docking of a US spacecraft with one from the Soviet Union . It was the last launch of an Apollo spacecraft and the Saturn rocket family .
- 1983 – An attack on Orly Airport in Paris is carried out by the Armenian militant organization ASALA, leaving eight people dead and 55 injured.
- 2003 — AOL Time Warner scraps Netscape . The Mozilla Foundation is created on the same day.
- 2006 – Twitter is launched, becoming one of the largest social media platforms in the world.
- 2016 – Factions in the Turkish Armed Forces attempt a coup d'état .
Before the 19th century
- 1359 – Antonio Correr , Italian cardinal (d. 1445 ).
- 1455 – Yun , Korean queen (d. 1482 ).
- 1471 – Alexander of Ethiopia (d. 1494 ).
- 1478 – Barbara Jagellon , Duchess consort of Saxony (d. 1534 ).
- 1573 – Inigo Jones , English architect, designed the Queen's House (d. 1652 ).
- 1606 – Rembrandt , Dutch painter and engraver (d. 1669 ).
- 1646 – Frederick I, Duke of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg (d. 1691 ).
- 1718 – Alexander Roslin , Swedish painter (d. 1787 ).
- 1750 – Francis, Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld (d. 1806 )
- 1788 – Henrique Ernesto de Almeida Coutinho , Portuguese poet (d. 1868 ).
- 1796 – Thomas Bulfinch , American mythologist (d. 1867 ).
- 1799 – Reuben Chapman , American lawyer and politician, 13th Governor of Alabama (d. 1882 ).
- 1808 – Edward Manning , British cardinal (d. 1892 ).
- 1810 – Johann Löwenthal , German chess player (d. 1875 ).
- 1812 – Benno Adam , German painter (d. 1892 ).
- 1817 – John Fowler , British engineer, designed the Bridge of Forth (d. 1898 ).
- 1827 – WW Thayer , American lawyer and politician, 6th Governor of Oregon (d. 1899 ).
- 1831 – Reinhold Begas , German sculptor (d. 1911 ).
- 1837 – Stephanie de Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen (d. 1859 ).
- 1845 – Maria Theresa of Austria-Teschen (d. 1927 ).
- 1848 – Vilfredo Pareto , Italian economist and sociologist (d. 1923 ).
- 1850 – Francisca Xavier Cabrini , Italian-American nun and saint (d. 1917 ).
- 1854 – Jacek Malczewski , Polish painter (d. 1929 ).
- 1858 – Emmeline Pankhurst , British political activist and suffragette (d. 1928 ).
- Alfred Harmsworth , Anglo-Irish businessman and publisher, founded the Amalgamated Press (d. 1922 ).
- Wilhelm Wirtinger , Austrian-German mathematician and theorist (d. 1945 ).
- 1867 – Jean-Baptiste Charcot , French physicist and explorer (d. 1936 ).
- 1870 – Leonid Krasin , Russian engineer, diplomat and politician (d. 1926 ).
- Henryk Arctowski , Polish scientist, oceanographer and explorer (d. 1958 ).
- José Enrique Rodó , Uruguayan writer (d. 1917 ).
- 1872 – Jean Dargassies , French cyclist (d. 1965 ).
- 1883 – Louis Lavelle , French philosopher (d. 1951 ).
- 1887 – Gabriel Constantinovich of Russia (d. 1955 ).
- 1888 – Nathan Levinson , American sound engineer (d. 1952 ).
- 1889 – Marjorie Rambeau , American actress (d. 1970 ).
- 1892 – Walter Benjamin , German philosopher and critic (d. 1940 ).
- William Dieterle , German filmmaker (d. 1972 ).
- Nurul Amin , Pakistani jurist and politician (d. 1974 ).
- Enid Bennett , Australian-American actress (d. 1969 ).
- 1895 – Irina Alexandrovna of Russia (d. 1970 ).
- 1898 – Henry des Abbayes , French botanist (d. 1974 ).
- 1902 – Jean Rey , Belgian lawyer and politician, 2nd President of the European Commission (d. 1983 ).
- 1905 – Chaudhry Muhammad Ali , Pakistani politician (d. 1980 ).
- 1907 – Shoshin Nagamine , Japanese soldier and karate master (d. 1997 ).
- 1909 – Georges Verriest , French footballer (d. 1985 ).
- 1910 – Enrique Guaita , Italian-Argentine footballer (d. 1959 ).
- 1911 – Aleksandar Tirnanić , Serbian footballer and football coach (d. 1992 ).
- 1914 – Birabongse Bhanubandh , Thai nobleman and motorist (d. 1985 ).
- Albert Ghiorso , American chemist (d. 2010 ).
- David Tree , British actor (d. 2009 ).
- 1918 – Bertram Brockhouse , Canadian physicist (d. 2003 ).
- 1921 – Robert Bruce Merrifield , American biochemist (d. 2006 ).
- 1922 – Leon Max Lederman , American physicist (d. 2018 ).
- 1925 – DA Pennebaker , American filmmaker and documentarian (d. 2019 ).
- 1926 – Leopoldo Galtieri , Argentine military man and politician (d. 2003 ).
- 1927 – Carmen Zapata , American actress (d. 2014 ).
- 1928 – Pal Benko , Hungarian chess player (d. 2019 ).
- 1929 – Ian Stewart , British racing driver (d. 2017 ).
- 1930 – Jacques Derrida , French philosopher (d. 2004 ).
- 1931 – Clive Cussler , American writer (d. 2020 ).
- Paulo Moura , Brazilian musician (d. 2010 ).
- Ed Litzenberger , Canadian ice hockey player (d. 2010 ).
- 1933 – Julian Bream , British musician (d. 2020 ).
- Harrison Birtwistle , British composer (d. 2022 ).
- Enrique Mateos , Spanish footballer (d. 2001 ).
- 1935 – Ken Kercheval , American actor (d. 2019 ).
- 1936 – Larry Cohen , American director, film producer and screenwriter (d. 2019 ).
- Aníbal Cavaco Silva , Portuguese politician.
- Patrick Wayne , American actor.
- 1944 – Jan-Michael Vincent , American actor (d. 2019 ).
- Luiz Carlos Lacerda , Brazilian film director.
- David Granger , Guyanese military and politician.
- Linda Ronstadt , American singer.
- Hassanal Bolkiah , Sultan of Brunei .
- Dieter Herzog , former German footballer.
- 1948 – Artimus Pyle , American drummer and composer.
- Trevor Horn , British musician.
- Carl Bildt , Swedish politician.
- 1951 – Gregory Isaacs , Jamaican singer-songwriter (d. 2010 ).
- 1952 – Terry O'Quinn , American actor.
- Alicia Bridges , American singer.
- Jean-Bertrand Aristide , Haitian politician.
- Michaël Dudok de Wit , Dutch designer, director and animator.
- Mario Kempes , former Argentine footballer.
- Tarak Dhiab , former Tunisian footballer.
- Marky Ramone , American musician.
- Ian Curtis , British musician (d. 1980 ).
- Emmanuel Kundé , former Cameroonian footballer.
- Joe Satriani , American guitarist.
- 1957 – Radamés Lattari , Brazilian volleyball coach.
- 1960 – Willie Aames , American actor.
- Forest Whitaker , American actor.
- Lolita Davidovich , Canadian actress.
- 1962 – Michelle Ford , former Australian swimmer.
- 1963 – Brigitte Nielsen , Danish actress.
- 1964 – Vladimir Soria , Bolivian former footballer and football coach.
- 1965 – Yasutoshi Miura , former Japanese football player and coach.
- Samuel Rosa , Brazilian singer, songwriter and guitarist.
- Irène Jacob , French-Swiss actress.
- Jason Bonham , British musician.
- Amanda Foreman , American actress.
- Shari Headley , American actress.
- Petar Mihtarski , former Bulgarian footballer.
- 1968 – Leticia Calderón , Mexican actress.
- 1969 – Anatoli Nankov , former Bulgarian footballer.
- 1970 – Rogério de Moura , Brazilian filmmaker, screenwriter and actor.
- 1972 – Scott Foley , American actor.
- John Dolmayan , Armenian-American drummer.
- Brian Austin Green , American actor.
- 1974 – Takashi Hirano , former Japanese footballer.
- Diane Kruger , American actress and model.
- Marco Di Vaio , former Italian footballer.
- Juanfran , former Spanish footballer.
- Ray Toro , American guitarist.
- Lana Parrilla , American actress.
- Roberto Brown , Panamanian former footballer.
- 1978 – Leon Kantelberg , former Dutch footballer.
- Alexander Frei , former Swiss footballer.
- Pyotr Bystrov , former Russian footballer.
- Juliana Almeida , Brazilian actress and presenter.
- Mbanangoyé , Gabonese footballer.
- José María Calvo , Argentine footballer.
- Marius Stankevičius , Lithuanian former footballer.
- Alou Diarra , former French footballer.
- Peter Odemwingie , former Nigerian footballer.
- Taylor Kinney , American model and actor.
- Qu Bo , former Chinese football player.
- 1983 – Nelson Merlo , Brazilian racing driver.
- Jéferson , former Brazilian footballer.
- Édgar Barreto , Paraguayan footballer.
- Graziano Pellè , Italian footballer.
- Burak Yılmaz , Turkish footballer.
- Sergeiy Chepchugov , Russian footballer.
- 1987 – Junya Tanaka , Japanese footballer.
- Franco Jara , Argentine footballer.
- Jan Koprivec , Slovenian footballer.
- Aimee Carrero , Dominican actress.
- Tristan Wilds , American actor.
- Alisa Kleybanova , Russian tennis player.
- nineteen ninety
- Damian Lillard , American basketball player.
- Frank Temile , Nigerian footballer.
- Derrick Favors , American basketball player.
- Danilo Luiz da Silva , Brazilian footballer.
- Shogo Taniguchi , Japanese footballer.
- Yoshinori Muto , Japanese footballer.
- Samya Pascotto , Brazilian actress.
- Koharu Kusumi , Japanese singer, model and actress.
- Gabriel Xavier , Brazilian footballer.
- Alula Girma , Ethiopian footballer.
- 1994 — Rennan da Penha , Brazilian DJ and music producer.
- Matt Grimes , British footballer.
- Corentin Jean , French footballer.
- 1997 – Maycon de Andrade Barberan , Brazilian footballer.
- 2002 – Fernanda Concon , Brazilian actress.
- 2008 – Iain Armitage , American actor.
Before the 19th century
- 998 — Abu al-Wafa' Buzjani , Persian mathematician and astronomer (b. 940 ).
- 1015 – Vladimir I , Grand Prince of Kievan Rus (b. 958 ).
- 1117 – Anselm of Laon , French theologian (b. 1050 ).
- 1274 – Bonaventure , Italian bishop and saint (b. 1221 ).
- 1291 – Rudolph I of Germania (b. 1218 ).
- 1299 — Eric II of Norway (b. 1268 ).
- 1381 – John Ball , English priest (b. 1338 ).
- 1445 – Joan Beaufort , Queen of Scots (b. ?).
- 1542 – Lisa Gherardini , subject of Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa (b. 1479 ).
- 1544 – Renato de Châlon, Prince of Orange (b. 1519 ).
- 1609 – Annibale Carracci , Italian painter (b. 1560 ).
- 1614 – Pierre de Brantôme , French soldier, historian and writer (b. 1540 ).
- 1664 – Abraham Ecchellensis , Lebanese philosopher and linguist (b. 1605 ).
- 1685 – James Scott, 1st Duke of Monmouth , Anglo-Dutch general and politician (b. 1649 ).
- 1765 – Charles-André van Loo , French painter (b. 1705 ).
- 1789 – Jacques Duphly , French musician and composer (b. 1715 ).
- 1828 – Jean-Antoine Houdon , French sculptor (b. 1741 ).
- 1857 – Carl Czerny , Austrian pianist and composer (b. 1791 ).
- 1885 – Rosalía de Castro , Spanish writer and poet (b. 1837 ).
- 1904 – Anton Chekhov , Russian playwright and short story writer (b. 1860 ).
- 1921 – Alphonsus de Guimaraens , Brazilian poet (b. 1870 ).
- 1923 – Semyon Alapin , Russian chess player (b. 1856 ).
- 1956 – Ernest Bloch , American composer (b. 1880 ).
- 1971 – Bill Thompson , American singer, voice actor and radio actor (b. 1913 ).
- 1974 – Christine Chubbuck , American journalist (b. 1944 ).
- 1977 – Misha'al bint Fahd al Saud , Saudi princess (b. 1958 ).
- 1990 – Margaret Lockwood , British actress (b. 1916 ).
- 1997 – Gianni Versace , Italian fashion designer (b. 1946 ).
- 2008 – György Kolonics , Hungarian kayaker (b. 1972 ).
- 2011 – Googie Withers , British actress (b. 1917 ).
- 2013 – Sebastião Vasconcelos , Brazilian actor (b. 1927 ).
- 2017 – Martin Landau , American actor (b. 1928 ).
- Rex Richards , British chemist (b. 1922 ).
- Marc Batchelor , South African footballer (b. 1970 ).
- 2020 – Severino Cavalcanti , Brazilian politician (b. 1930 ).
Holidays and cyclical events
- Festival of Castor and Pollux (in the Roman Empire ).
- Anniversary of the city of Juazeiro , Bahia .
- Anniversary of the city of Irati , Paraná .
- Anniversary of the city of Luminárias, Minas Gerais
- Bernard II of Baden-Baden
- Bonaventure of Bagnoregio
- scattering of the apostles
- Henry II of the Holy Roman Empire
- Saint Julita and Saint Cyrus ( Orthodox Church )
- Vladimir I of Kiev
- In the Roman calendar it was the day of the Ides of July.
- In the liturgical calendar it has the Sunday letter G for the day of the week .
- In the Gregorian calendar the epact of the day is xii .
To know the Age of the Moon on this day, look for the corresponding letter in each year (lowercase or uppercase), for example, in 2020, for Epact and Moon Age it is the letter e :
So, on July 15, 2020 the age of the Moon is 24 .