July 17 is the 198th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar (199th in leap years ). There are 167 left to finish the year.
- 1203 – Venetian troops of the Fourth Crusade enter Constantinople . The Byzantine Emperor Alexios III Angelos leaves the city and takes refuge in Adrianople .
- 1381 – Third Fernandina War : The Portuguese fleet suffers a heavy and decisive defeat against the Castilian fleet at the Battle of Saltes , fought near Huelva .
- 1402 – Yongle ascends the Chinese throne, becoming the third Ming Emperor .
- 1429 – Charles VII is crowned King of France in Reims Cathedral following Joan of Arc 's victorious campaign in the Hundred Years' War .
- 1453 – Battle of Castillon : The last battle of the Hundred Years' War , the French under Jean Bureau defeat the English under the Earl of Shrewsbury , who is killed in the battle at Gascony .
- 1791 – Members of the French National Guard under the command of General Lafayette open fire on a crowd of radical Jacobins on the Champs de Mars , Paris, during the French Revolution , killing dozens of people.
- 1794 – The 16 Carmelite martyrs of Compiègne are executed ten days before the end of the French Revolution 's Reign of Terror .
- 1899 – NEC Corporation is organized as the first Japanese joint venture with foreign capital.
- 1918 – Tsar Nicholas II of Russia , his family and four servants are executed by Bolshevik Chekists at the Ipatiev House in Yekaterinburg , Russia.
- 1936 – Spanish Civil War : A rebellion by the Armed Forces against the newly elected left-wing Popular Front government of Spain starts the civil war.
- 1945 – World War II : The victorious Allied leaders Stalin ( Soviet Union ), Truman ( United States ), Churchill ( United Kingdom ) meet on the first day of the Potsdam Conference to decide the future of a defeated Germany.
- 1955 – Disneyland opens in Anaheim , California .
- 1968 – Abdul Rahman Arif is removed from power and the Ba'ath Party is installed as the ruling power in Iraq , with Ahmed Hassan al-Bakr as the new Iraqi president.
- 1975 – Apollo-Soyuz space mission : An American Apollo space module and a Soviet Soyuz module dock in Earth orbit.
- 1976 – East Timor is annexed and becomes the 27th province of Indonesia .
- 1981 – A structural failure leads to the collapse of a footbridge at the Hyatt Regency in Kansas City, Missouri , killing 114 people and injuring more than 200.
- 1989 – First flight of the B-2 Spirit strategic bomber .
- 1996 – TWA Flight 800 : Off the coast of Long Island , New York, a TWA Boeing 747 bound for Paris explodes, killing all 230 people on board.
- 1998 – A diplomatic conference adopts the Rome Statute , establishing a permanent International Criminal Court to try individuals for genocide , crimes against humanity , war crimes, and the crime of aggression.
- 2000 — Alliance Air Flight 7412 crashes in India.
- 2004 – The XVI Constitutional Government , a coalition government between the Social Democratic Party and the Popular Party , headed by Prime Minister Pedro Santana Lopes , takes office in Portugal .
- 2006 – A 7.7 Mw earthquake followed by a tsunami in Pangandaran , severely affects the Indonesian island of Java , killing 668 people and injuring more than 9,000.
- 2007 – TAM airline 's Airbus A320 crashes at Congonhas Airport ( São Paulo ), on flight 3054 , with 187 people on board. This was considered the worst air accident in Brazilian and Latin American history , and the 11th in the world.
- 2014 – A Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 ( Flight MH17 ) with 298 people on board crashes at the Ukraine - Russia border .
Before the 19th century
- 1584 – Agnes of Brandenburg , Duchess of Pomerania (d. 1629 ).
- 1676 – Adriaan Reland , Dutch scholar, cartographer and philologist (d. 1718 ).
- 1744 – Elbridge Gerry , American politician (d. 1814 ).
- 1745 – Timothy Pickering , American politician (d. 1829 ).
- 1764 – Isaac Watts , British poet and theologian (d. 1748 ).
- 1781 – Luís Joaquim dos Santos Morocco , Portuguese archivist (d. 1838 ).
- 1797 – Paul Delaroche , French painter (d. 1856 ).
- 1827 – Frederick Augustus Abel , British chemist (d. 1902 ).
- 1831 – Xianfeng , Chinese Emperor (d. 1861 ).
- 1834 – Debsirindra , Thai queen (d. 1862 ).
- 1837 – Wilhelm Lexis , German economist and statistician (d. 1914 ).
- 1840 – Édouard-François André , French landscape artist (d. 1911 ).
- 1842 – Georg Ritter von Schönerer , Austrian politician (d. 1921 ).
- 1843 – Julio Argentino Roca , Argentine politician (d. 1914 ).
- 1846 – Tokugawa Iemochi , Japanese shogun (d. 1866 ).
- 1848 – Antônio Pereira da Silva e Oliveira , Brazilian politician (d. 1938 ).
- 1853 – Alexius Meinong , Austrian philosopher (d. 1920 ).
- 1864 – Franciszek Latinik , Polish soldier (d. 1949 ).
- 1871 – Lyonel Feininger , American painter (d. 1956 ).
- 1876 – Maxim Litvinov , Russian revolutionary leader (d. 1951 ).
- 1883 – Mauritz Stiller , Swedish actor (d. 1928 ).
- António José de Almeida , Portuguese politician (d. 1929 ).
- Cândido Firmino de Melo Leitão , Brazilian zoologist (d. 1948 ).
- 1887 – Erle Stanley Gardner , American writer and lawyer (d. 1970 ).
- 1888 – Shmuel Yosef Agnon , Israeli writer (d. 1970 ).
- 1891 – Hermann Heller , German jurist and political theorist (d. 1933 ).
- 1894 – Georges Lemaître , Belgian priest, astronomer and physicist (d. 1966 ).
- 1896 – Werner Marcks , German soldier (d. 1967 ).
- 1897 – Max Knoll , German engineer (d. 1969 ).
- 1899 – James Cagney , American actor (d. 1986 ).
- Bruno Jasieński , Polish poet (d. 1938 ).
- Luigi Chinetti , Italian racing driver (d. 1994 ).
- Mário Meneghetti , Brazilian physician and politician (d. 1969 ).
- Conduelo Píriz , Uruguayan footballer (d. 1976 ).
- 1906 – Carl-Erik Holmberg , Swedish footballer (d. 1991 ).
- 1907 – Paul Magloire , Haitian military man and politician (d. 2001 ).
- 1910 – Barbara O'Neil , American actress (d. 1980 ).
- 1914 – James Purdy , American writer (d. 2009 ).
- Phyllis Diller , American actress (d. 2012 ).
- Juan Tuñas , Cuban footballer (d. 2011 ).
- Ivo Antônio Calliari , Brazilian religious (d. 2005 ).
- Carlos Manuel Arana Osorio , Guatemalan politician (d. 2003 ).
- 1920 – Juan Antonio Samaranch , Spanish businessman, sports director, diplomat and politician (d. 2010 ).
- 1923 – John Cooper , British engineer and designer (d. 2000 ).
- 1928 – Joe Morello , American drummer (d. 2011 ).
- Wilma Bentivegna , Brazilian singer (d. 2015 ).
- Johann Riegler , Austrian footballer (d. 2011 ).
- Quino , Argentine cartoonist (d. 2020 ).
- Wojciech Kilar , Polish classical composer (d. 2013 ).
- Colin Webster , British footballer (d. 2001 ).
- 1933 – Maria do Carmo Guedes , Brazilian psychologist.
- 1935 – Donald Sutherland , Canadian actor.
- 1936 – Jair Marinho , Brazilian footballer (d. 2020 ).
- Ali Khamenei , Iranian Supreme Leader.
- Gusztáv Szepesi , Hungarian footballer (d. 1987 ).
- Valeriy Voronin , Russian footballer (d. 1984 ).
- Faisal Husseini , Palestinian politician (d. 2001 ).
- Marie-Thérèse Humbert , Mauritian writer.
- 1941 – Roberto Rivas , Salvadoran footballer (d. 1972 ).
- Ronnie Von , Brazilian singer, songwriter and presenter.
- Carlos Alberto Torres , Brazilian footballer and football coach (d. 2016 ).
- 1945 – Alexander, Crown Prince of Yugoslavia .
- 1947 – Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall .
- Ron Asheton , American musician (d. 2009 ).
- Cathy Ferguson , former North American swimmer.
- Geezer Butler , British composer and musician.
- Lakis Nikolaou , former Greek footballer.
- David Hasselhoff , American actor and musician.
- Thomas Ahlström , former Swedish footballer.
- Angela Merkel , German politician.
- Edward Natapei , Vanuatu politician (d. 2015 ).
- 1955 – Jomo Sono , former South African football player and football coach.
- 1956 – Afric Simone , Mozambican singer and musician.
- Baltazar , former Brazilian footballer.
- Michael Manniche , former Danish footballer.
- Mark Burnett , British television producer.
- Jan Wouters , former Dutch footballer.
- Andrea Mandorlini , former Italian football player and coach.
- Guru , American rapper (d. 2010 ).
- António Costa , Portuguese politician.
- Lesotho's Letsie III .
- Regina Belle , American singer and actress.
- 1966 – Derico , Brazilian saxophonist.
- Davis Kamoga , former Ugandan sprinter.
- Bitty Schram , American actress.
- 1969 – Jaan Kirsipuu , former Estonian cyclist.
- Veneziano Vital , Brazilian politician.
- Pedro Martins , Portuguese football coach.
- Laurence R. Harvey , British actor.
- 1972 – Jaap Stam , Dutch former football player and football coach.
- 1973 – Demetrius , former Brazilian basketball player.
- 1974 – Claudio López , former Argentine footballer.
- Alexander Georgiev , Russian checkers player.
- Cécile de France , Belgian actress.
- Elena Anaya , Spanish actress.
- Alencar , former Brazilian footballer.
- Jamila Madeira , Portuguese politician.
- Marcos Senna , former Spanish-Brazilian footballer.
- Anders Svensson , former Swedish football player.
- Eric Winter , American actor.
- 1978 – Ricardo Arona , Brazilian mixed martial arts fighter.
- Robin Szolkowy , German figure skater.
- Sam, The Kid , Portuguese rapper .
- Mike Vogel , American actor.
- Rudolf Skácel , former Czech footballer.
- Ana Nóbrega , Brazilian pastor, singer, songwriter and multi-instrumentalist.
- José Sand , Argentine footballer.
- Anthony West , Australian motorcyclist.
- Mélanie Thierry , French actress.
- Wilfried Dalmat , French footballer.
- Natasha Hamilton , British singer, songwriter and actress.
- Flávia de Oliveira , Brazilian model.
- Sarah Jones , American actress.
- Morais , former Brazilian footballer.
- Tapuwa Kapini , former Zimbabwean footballer.
- Tom Fletcher , British guitarist, singer and writer.
- Miguel Britos , Uruguayan footballer.
- Jan Charouz , Czech motorist.
- Daniel Brands , former German tennis player.
- Ivan Strinić , Croatian footballer.
- 1988 – Summer Bishil , American actress.
- Justin Rovegno , British footballer.
- Pan Feihong , Chinese rower.
- nineteen ninety
- Omar Fraile , Spanish cyclist.
- Renato Augusto , Brazilian footballer.
- 1992 – Mehdy Metella , French swimmer.
- Diamantis Chouchoumis , Greek footballer.
- Benjamin Mendy , French footballer.
- Victor Lindelöf , Swedish footballer.
- 1997 – Perla Haney-Jardine , Brazilian actress.
- 2000 – Nico Liersch , German actor.
Before the 19th century
- 521 — Great Felix Enodio , Catholic saint and bishop (b. 474 ).
- 855 — Pope Leo IV (b. 805 ).
- 924 – Edward the Elder , King of Wessex (b. 874 ).
- 1070 — Baldwin VI of Flanders (b. 1030 ).
- 1086 — Canute IV of Denmark (b. 1043 ).
- 1270 – Margaret of Namur , Marchioness of Namur (b. 1194 ).
- 1431 – Philippa de Mohun , Duchess of York (b. 1367 )
- 1450 – Francis I, Duke of Brittany (b. 1414 ).
- 1566 – Bartolomé de las Casas , Dominican friar, chronicler and Spanish theologian (b. 1474 ).
- 1728 – Christina of Hesse-Rheinfels , Princess of Löwenstein-Wertheim-Rochefort (b. 1688 ).
- 1790 – Adam Smith , British economist and philosopher (b. 1723 ).
- 1794 – Teresa of Saint Augustine , French Carmelite blessed (b. 1752 ).
- 1845 – Charles Grey, 2nd Earl Grey , British diplomat and politician (b. 1764 ).
- 1859 – Estefânia de Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen , queen consort of Portugal (b. 1837 ).
- 1878 – Aleardo Aleardi , Italian poet and politician (b. 1812 ).
- 1912 – Henri Poincaré , French mathematician (b. 1854 ).
- 1918 – Nicholas II of Russia (b. 1868 ).
- Álvaro Obregón , Mexican politician (b. 1880 ).
- Giovanni Giolitti , Italian politician (b. 1842 ).
- 1959 – Billie Holiday , American singer-songwriter (b. 1915 ).
- 1967 – John Coltrane , American musician and composer (b. 1926 ).
- Juan Manuel Fangio , Argentine driver (b. 1911 ).
- Ivani Ribeiro , Brazilian playwright (b. 1922 ).
- 2002 – Mário Juruna , Brazilian indigenous leader and politician (b. 1943 ).
- Agenor Miranda , Angolan writer (b. 1917 ).
- José Viana Baptista , Portuguese politician, engineer and manager (b. 1931 ).
- 2005 – Edward Heath , British politician (b. 1916 ).
- Júlio Redecker , Brazilian businessman and politician (b. 1956 ).
- Paulo Rogério Amoretty , Brazilian sports director (b. 1945 ).
- Walter Cronkite , American journalist (b. 1916 ).
- Fernando Diniz , Brazilian politician (b. 1954 ).
- 2011 – Juan María Bordaberry , Uruguayan politician (b. 1928 ).
- 2014 — Henry Hartsfield Jr. , American astronaut (b. 1933 ).
- 2015 – Jules Bianchi , French racing driver (b. 1989 ).
- 2016 – Eliakim Araújo , Brazilian journalist (b. 1941 ).
- 2017 — Caio Porfírio Carneiro , Brazilian writer and short story writer (b. 1928 ).
- 2018 – João Semedo , Portuguese politician (b. 1951 ).
Holidays and cyclical events
- Forest Protection Day
- Submariner's Day
- world emoji day
- Birth of António José de Almeida - Municipal holiday in Penacova
- Birthday of Volta Redonda , Rio de Janeiro
- Birthday of Cuite , Paraíba
- Bagé 's Birthday , Rio Grande do Sul
- Sabará 's birthday , Minas Gerais
- Alexios of Rome
- Canonization of the Romanovs
- Carmelites of Compiegne
- Hedwig of Poland
- Igor Constantinovich of Russia
- Inácio de Azevedo
- Great Felix Enodio
- Pope Leo IV
- Saint Marcelina
- Saint Kenelm
- In the Roman calendar it was the 16th day (XVI) before the Kalends of August .
- In the liturgical calendar it has the Sunday letter B for the day of the week .
- In the Gregorian calendar the epact of the day is x .
To know the Age of the Moon on this day, look for the corresponding letter in each year (lowercase or uppercase), for example, in 2020, for Epact and Moon Age it is the letter e :
So, on July 17, 2020 the age of the Moon is 26 .