July 13 is the 194th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar (195th in leap years ). There are 171 left to finish the year.
- 1174 – William I of Scotland , a leading rebel in the Revolt of 1173–1174 , is captured at Alnwick by forces loyal to Henry II of England .
- 1787 – The Continental Congress enacts the Northwest Act establishing rules of government for the Northwest Territory . It also establishes procedures for the admission of new states and limits the expansion of slavery .
- 1793 – Royalist Charlotte Corday enters the home of French revolutionary leader Jean-Paul Marat , murdering him while he is in the bathtub.
- 1878 – Treaty of Berlin : European powers redraw the map of the Balkans . Serbia , Montenegro and Romania become completely independent from the Ottoman Empire .
- 1901 – Santos Dumont skirts the Eiffel Tower in Paris with an airship.
- 1917 – The third of the six apparitions of the Virgin Mary to the three children of Fatima , Portugal , takes place .
- 1919 – The British airship R34 lands in Norfolk , England, completing the first return trip across the Atlantic in 182 hours of flight time.
- 1923 – The Hollywood Sign officially opens in the hills of Los Angeles.
- 1945 – Manhattan Project : Preparations for the Trinity experiment, considered the beginning of the Nuclear Age, end.
- 1977 – Somalia declares war on Ethiopia , starting the Ogaden War .
- 1985 – The Live Aid benefit concert takes place in London and Philadelphia , as well as other venues such as Moscow and Sydney .
- 1990 — The Statute of Children and Adolescents is instituted in Brazil , Law No. 8 069/90.
- 1997 – Cuba receives the remains of Che Guevara .
- 2008 – The Battle of Wanat begins , when Taliban and al-Qaeda guerrillas attack US Army and Afghan National Army troops . The deaths of American soldiers were, at that time, the highest in a single battle since operations began in 2001 .
- 2019 – The Spektr-Roentgen-Gamma , a high-energy Russian-German space telescope , is launched from Baikonur Cosmodrome , Kazakhstan .
Before the 19th century
- 100 BC – Julius Caesar , Roman political and military leader (d. 44 BC ).
- 1527 – John Dee , English scientist (d. 1609 ).
- 1590 – Pope Clement X (d. 1676 ).
- 1607 – Václav Hollar , Czech engraver (d. 1677 ).
- 1608 – Ferdinand III, Holy Roman Emperor (d. 1657 ).
- 1776 – Caroline, Princess of Baden (d. 1841 ).
- 1783 – Augustus of Oldenburg (d. 1853 ).
- 1791 – Allan Cunningham , British botanist and explorer (d. 1839 ).
- 1798 – Charlotte of Prussia , Empress of Russia (d. 1860 ).
- 1808 – Antonio Arenas , Peruvian politician (d. 1891 ).
- 1811 – George Gilbert Scott , British architect (d. 1878 ).
- 1821 – Nathan Bedford Forrest , American serviceman
- 1841 – Otto Wagner , Austrian architect (d. 1918 ).
- 1847 – Leopoldina de Bragança e Bourbon , Infanta do Brasil (d. 1871 ).
- 1861 – Maria Ana de Bragança, Grand Duchess of Luxembourg (d. 1942 ).
- 1864 – John Jacob Astor IV , American businessman (d. 1912 ).
- 1865 – Gérard Anaclet Vincent Encausse , French physician and occultist (d. 1916 ).
- 1866 – La Goulue , French dancer (d. 1929 ).
- 1869 – Eugênia Ana dos Santos , Afro-Brazilian priestess (d. 1938 ).
- 1877 – Erik Scavenius , Danish politician and diplomat (d. 1962 ).
- 1879 – Eugène Freyssinet , French engineer (d. 1962 ).
- 1884 – Carolina Reuss de Greiz (d. 1905 ).
- 1899 – Louise Mountbatten , Queen consort of Sweden (d. 1965 ).
- Jonni Myyrä , Finnish athlete (d. 1955 ).
- Hans Streuli , Swiss politician (d. 1970 ).
- 1896 – Hans Cramer , German soldier (d. 1968 ).
- 1898 – Julius Schreck , German soldier (d. 1936 ).
- 1899 – Maria Antonia of Austria-Tuscany (d. 1977 ).
- 1900 – Teresa of the Andes , Chilean Catholic nun and saint (d. 1920 ).
- 1901 – Ernest Riedel , American kayaker (d. 1983 ).
- 1905 – Bosley Crowther , American journalist and film critic (d. 1981 ).
- 1908 – Dorothy Round Little , British tennis player (d. 1982 ).
- 1909 – Souphanouvong , Laotian politician (d. 1995 ).
- 1910 – Jeanne Hersch , Swiss philosopher (d. 2000 ).
- 1914 – Sam Hanks , American racing driver (d. 1994 ).
- 1915 – Kaoru Ishikawa , Japanese writer and engineer (d. 1989 ).
- Alberto Ascari , Italian racing driver (d. 1955 ).
- Sebastião Carvalho Leme , Brazilian photographer (d. 2007 ).
- 1920 – Hans Blumenberg , German philosopher (d. 1996 ).
- 1922 – Anker Jørgensen , Danish politician (d. 2016 ).
- 1923 – Antonio Flores , Mexican footballer (d. 2001 ).
- Carlo Bergonzi , Italian tenor and actor (d. 2014 ).
- Donald Edward Osterbrock , American astronomer (d. 2007 ).
- Bob Crane , American actor (d. 1978 ).
- Tommaso Buscetta , Italian mobster (d. 2000 ).
- 1929 – Sofia Muratova , Russian gymnast (d. 2006 ).
- 1930 – Naomi Shemer , Israeli singer, songwriter and poet (d. 2004 ).
- 1931 – Frank Ramsey , American basketball player (d. 2018 ).
- 1932 – Antonio Roma , Argentine footballer (d. 2013 ).
- 1933 – Theresa Amayo , Brazilian actress (d. 2022 ).
- Aleksei Yeliseyev , Soviet cosmonaut.
- Wole Soyinka , Nigerian poet and playwright.
- Kurt Westergaard , Danish cartoonist (d. 2021 ).
- Albert Ayler , American saxophonist (d. 1970 ).
- 1940 – Patrick Stewart , British actor.
- Luis Alberto Lacalle , Uruguayan politician.
- Robert Forster , American actor (d. 2019 ).
- Affonso Beato , Brazilian cinematographer.
- 1942 – Harrison Ford , American actor.
- Carlo Tavecchio , Italian sports director and politician.
- Emir Sader , Brazilian sociologist and political scientist.
- 1944 – Ernő Rubik , Hungarian architect and inventor.
- João Bosco , Brazilian singer, guitarist and composer.
- Cheech Marin , American actor.
- Gonzalo Aja , former Spanish cyclist.
- 1948 – Daphne Maxwell Reid , American actress.
- Sara González , Cuban singer (d. 2012 ).
- Ramon Barea , Spanish actor and director.
- 1950 – Ma Ying-jeou , Taiwanese politician.
- 1952 – Ricardo Boechat , Brazilian journalist (d. 2019 ).
- Zoltán Kereki , former Hungarian footballer.
- Noemi Gerbelli , Brazilian actress (d. 2021 ).
- 1955 – Mark Mendoza , American musician.
- Geneton Moraes Neto , Brazilian journalist (d. 2016 ).
- Rogério Lemgruber , Brazilian criminal (d. 1992 ).
- Michael Spinks , former American boxer.
- Thierry Boutsen , former Belgian racing driver.
- Lilia Cabral , Brazilian actress.
- Jean-Michel Cavalli , former French footballer and football coach.
- 1958 – Roger L. Jackson , American voice actor and actor.
- 1959 – Catarina Abdala , Brazilian actress.
- Stelios Manolas , former Greek football player and coach.
- Anders Järryd , former Swedish tennis player.
- Tom Kenny , American voice actor, singer and screenwriter.
- Michael Jace , American actor.
- Pasquale Marino , former Italian footballer and football coach.
- George DiCarlo , former American swimmer.
- Kenny Johnson , American actor.
- Spud Webb , former American basketball player.
- 1964 – Pascal Hervé , former French cyclist.
- 1965 – Chun In-soo , South Korean archer.
- 1966 – Gerald Levert , American singer (d. 2006 ).
- Benny Benassi , Italian DJ.
- Zuhair Bakhit , former Emirati footballer.
- Ken Jeong , American actor.
- Kakhi Kakhiashvili , former Georgian weightlifter.
- Oles Buzina , Ukrainian journalist (d. 2015 ).
- 1970 – Muriel Santa Ana , Argentine actress and singer.
- Murilo Benício , Brazilian actor.
- MF Doom , Anglo-American rapper (d. 2020 ).
- Héber Roberto Lopes , Brazilian football referee.
- Alexandra Araujo , Brazilian water polo player.
- Sean Waltman , American wrestler .
- 1973 – Roberto Martínez , former Spanish footballer and football coach.
- Jarno Trulli , former Italian racing driver.
- Oriol Servià , Spanish motorist.
- Deborah Cox , Canadian singer.
- Mauricio Pineda , former Argentine footballer.
- Vegard Heggem , former Norwegian footballer.
- Ahmed Jaouachi , former Tunisian footballer.
- Gustavo Haddad , Brazilian actor.
- Cléber Frolich , Brazilian footballer (d. 2007 ).
- Kohei Morita , former Japanese footballer.
- 1977 – Ashley Scott , American actress.
- Gao Yao , former Chinese football player.
- Jessica Barth , American actress.
- Miguel Araújo , Portuguese musician.
- Craig Bellamy , former British footballer.
- Daniel Díaz , former Argentine footballer.
- Michel Neves Dias , former Brazilian footballer.
- Jeremiah Baisako , former Namibian footballer.
- Cédric Hengbart , former French footballer.
- Dimitri De Fauw , Belgian cyclist (d. 2009 ).
- Ágnes Kovács , Hungarian swimmer.
- João Paulo de Oliveira , Brazilian motorist.
- Cervantes , former Portuguese footballer.
- Brooke Ballentyne , American erotic film actress.
- Joost van den Broek , Dutch musician.
- Liu Xiang , former Chinese athlete.
- Christián Vilches , Chilean footballer.
- Sebastian Nerz , German bioinformatician and politician.
- 1984 – Ida Maria , Norwegian singer and guitarist.
- Guillermo Ochoa , Mexican footballer.
- Abdallah Said , Egyptian footballer.
- 1987 – Huang Bowen , Chinese footballer.
- Colton Haynes , American actor.
- Steven R. McQueen , American actor.
- Tulisa Contostavlos , British singer and actress.
- Elkeson , Brazilian-Chinese footballer.
- Sayumi Michishige , Japanese singer.
- nineteen ninety
- Eduardo Salvio , Argentine footballer.
- Jonathan Mensah , Ghanaian footballer.
- Alizé Lim , French tennis player.
- Gerald Melzer , Austrian tennis player.
- 1991 – Roger Torres , Colombian footballer.
- 1992 – Rich the Kid , American rapper and songwriter.
- Danny da Costa , German footballer.
- Mohammed Rabii , Moroccan boxer.
- 1995 – Dante Exum , Australian basketball player.
- 1996 – Gelson Dala , Angolan footballer.
- 1997 – Leo Howard , American actor.
- 1999 – Neemias Queta Portuguese basketball player.
- 2000 – Lucas Lynggaard Tønnesen , Danish actor.
- 2005 – Kyle Harrison Breitkopf , Canadian actor.
Before the 19th century
- 574 — Pope John III (b. 520 ).
- 939 — Pope Leo VII (b. 895 ).
- 1491 — Afonso, Prince of Portugal (b. 1475 ).
- 1501 — Margaret of Thuringia (b. 1449 ).
- 1584 – Armgard of Rietberg , Countess of Rietberg (b. 1584 ).
- 1621 – Albert VII of Austria (b. 1559 ).
- 1629 – Caspar Bartholin the Elder , Danish theologian and physician (b. 1585 ).
- 1762 – James Bradley , British astronomer (b. 1693 ).
- 1807 – Henrique Benedito Stuart , Italian cardinal (b. 1725 ).
- 1890 – John C. Frémont , American engineer, explorer, botanist and politician (b. 1813 ).
- 1896 – August Kekulé , German chemist (b. 1829 ).
- 1921 – Gabriel Lippmann , Luxembourgish physicist (b. 1845 ).
- 1951 – Arnold Schönberg , German composer (b. 1874 ).
- Frida Kahlo , Mexican painter (b. 1907 )
- Théophile Moreux , French astronomer and meteorologist (b. 1867 ).
- 1965 – Laureano Gómez Castro , Colombian politician, journalist and civil engineer (b. 1889 ).
- 1970 – Leslie Groves , American military engineer (b. 1896 ).
- 1973 – Ciro Monteiro , Brazilian singer-songwriter (b. 1913 ).
- 1980 – Seretse Khama , Botswanan politician (b. 1921 ).
- 1982 – Joe Maca , Belgian-American footballer (b. 1920 ).
- 1986 – Orígenes Lessa , Brazilian journalist and writer (b. 1903 ).
- 1996 – Karen Simensen , Norwegian figure skater (b. 1907 ).
- Claudinho , Brazilian singer and songwriter (b. 1975 ).
- Yousuf Karsh , Canadian photographer (b. 1908 ).
- 2006 – Red Buttons , American actor and comedian (b. 1919 ).
- 2008 – Bronisław Geremek , Polish politician (b. 1932 ).
- Elza Tank , Brazilian politics (b. 1935 ).
- Sage Stallone , American actor and film producer (b. 1976 ).
- Cory Monteith , Canadian actor and singer (b. 1982 ).
- Bana , Cape Verdean singer (b. 1932 ).
- 2014 – Nadine Gordimer , South African writer (b. 1923 ).
- 2015 – Andy Sutcliffe , British racing driver (b. 1947 ).
- 2016 – Héctor Babenco , Argentine-Brazilian filmmaker (b. 1946 ).
- 2017 – Liu Xiaobo , Chinese writer, activist, and literary critic (b. 1955 ).
- 2020 – Zindzi Mandela , South African diplomat and poet (b. 1960 ).
Holidays and cyclical events
- Sanitation Engineer's Day
- Singer 's Day
- Anniversary of the municipality of Porto Nacional in Tocantins
saint of the day
- Day of Our Lady of the Mystic Rose .
- Saint Mildreda 's Day .
- Day of Saint Teresa of Jesus of the Andes .
- In the Roman calendar it was the 3rd day (III) before the Ides of July .
- In the liturgical calendar it has the Sunday letter E for the day of the week .
- In the Gregorian calendar the epact of the day is xiv .
To find out the Age of the Moon on this day, look for the corresponding letter in each year (lowercase or uppercase), for example, in 2020, for Epact and Moon Age is the letter e :
So, on July 13, 2020 the age of the Moon is 22 .